Hello,

we want to install DBI and DBD::Oracle on lots of Oracle servers running on
AIX 4.3.3. When compiling the latest CPAN sources everything works well.

There are, however, precompiled DBI and DBD::Oracle packages for AIX offered
by Bull, and installing these packages is much faster. But when trying to
run our scripts we receive the following error message:

> install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load
> '/usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.005/aix/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' for
module
> DBD::Oracle: dlopen:
> /usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.005/aix/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so: A file
or
> directory in the path name does not exist. at
> /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.00503/aix/DynaLoader.pm line 169.
>
>  at (eval 1) line 3
> Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where expected
>  at ./statement.pl line 5

The file Oracle.so does exist in the specified directory.
Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ${ORACLE_HOME}/lib as proposed in another thread
in this list does not work either.

Our script looks as follows:

> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> use DBI;
>
> my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Oracle:test","user","passwd")
>         or die "Error connecting database: $DBI::errstr\n";
> [...]

We also tried compiling the script using perl2exe for AIX. But when running
the "exe" file on another machine with no perl database modules installed
the following error occurs:

> Can't load '/tmp/Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: dlopen:
/tmp/Oracle.so:
> A file or directory in the path name does not exist. at
> PERL2EXE_STORAGE/DynaLoader.pm line 206.
>  at statement.pl line 4
> Compilation failed in require at statement.pl line 4.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at statement.pl line 4.

(line 4 is then "use DBD::Oracle;" which is necessary for compiling the
script).

indigostar (perl2exe) could not help us.

Regards, Michael