No, you can select from BLOB by also setting the LongReadLen.

Ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: bill thater
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Don Schleede
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Sent: 10/19/01 7:22 AM
Subject: Re: Problems with readings Blobs (restricts to 160 characters ONLY)

Don Schleede wrote:

> I am trying to read a simple BLOB implemented as a LONG RAW in Oracle
8.1.7

> using DBI 1.15 and DBD 1.06 I tried running a select on the column. I
get
> data back, but it is limited to ONLY 160 bytes.

well, BLOB and LONG RAW are two different things.  if you are using BLOB

then you need to access it using the DBMS_BLOB package.  if you're using

LONG RAW then you need to set the long size in your oracle environment
to the proper size to retrieve the information.  in sqlplus you do a
"set long <some_large_number>"  but i'm too new to perl to know how your

do it there.  sorry.

you can find the methods for the DBMS_BLOB package by doing a describe
on it.

Bill "Shrek" Thater              ORACLE DBA
Telergy,Inc.                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
You gotta program like you don't need the money,
You gotta compile like you'll never get hurt,
You gotta run like there's nobody watching,
It's gotta come from the heart if you want it to work.
Save energy:  Drive a smaller shell.