Mark Thornber wrote:

> UPDATE table
> SET assignment-commalist
> [ WHERE conditional-expression ]
>
> where the update-item of column assignment can be a scalar subquery
> e.g.
> UPDATE P
> SET CITY = ( SELECT .CITY
>               FROM S
>               WHERE S.SNO = 'S5' )
> WHERE P.COLOR = 'RED'

Which is exactly what I described in my note to Steve (citing the same
Data&Darwin source you used): that it is ANSI standard to use a subquery
as one of the values in the set-clause, but that the syntax he showed
with a FROM clause on the UPDATE as a whole is not standard ANSI syntax.

Sorry if I'm seeming picky but I am in the middle of doing subqueries
for SQL::Statement and I need to be picky about what is standard ANSI
and what is a non-standard extension.  I am by no means saying that the
non-standard extension is somehow inferior or should be avoided, I'm
just trying to pin down the difference.

--
Jeff