Hi John,

> I have SuSE 7.3 installed on my system. I am using mysql to create
> database tables. I was using db2 for linux but they want alot of money
> for their product so I am going to use mysql instead. Is my
> understanding correct that you use the dbi interface to link perl
> modules to mysql.?

Absolutely! :-)

> I was looking at one of the sites which has perl
> modules.I am trying to download the base dbi module to the database
> interaction. I need one that will work on my specific system. As stated,
> I am using SuSE 7.3 on my system. I have an Athalon processor
> 1.4 on my system.

I use MySQL on SuSE 7.3, and all you should need is the DBI module, to
interface with Perl, and the DBD::mysql driver to interface with DBI and the
MySQL database.  Get Tim Bunce's latest DBI module from:

=> http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/TIMB/
=> DBI-1.20.tar.gz

Get hold of Jochen Wiedmann's DBD::mysql driver, from:

=> http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/JWIED/
=> DBD-mysql-2.1010.tar.gz

You may also want to pick up all of Jochen Wiedmann's mSQL/MySQL modules, from
the same CPAN address:

=> Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2219.tar.gz

For further information, the following web sites may prove useful?:

=> http://dbi.perl.org/
=> http://dbi.perl.org/cgi/moduledump?module=Msql-Mysql-modules
=> http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/e/Perl_installation.html
=> http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/e/Perl_support_problems.html