I have a long-running process that opens and holds a single connection to
an Oracle database.

For some strange and unfathomable reason, sometimes the process gets
"stuck" -- it goes off to never-never land and can't be killed except via
kill -9. I've tried to "fix" this problem by periodically disconnecting
from Oracle and reconnecting, but it still gets stuck.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Oracle listener or with my
firewall.

The Oracle server is sitting behind a firewall (a dinky WatchGuard
Firebox-II) and I've noticed that the exact same symptom (process gets
"stuck" and can't be awakened) happens when the firewall falls down and
connectivity to Oracle is lost.

However, in this case, I am certain that the firewall is OK, as using
SQL*Plus to connect to the server works fine..

--
Orlando Andico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Mosaic Communications, Inc.