At 12:01 PM 4/2/2002, NIPP, SCOTT V (SBCSI) wrote:
>         New problem now.  I appear have resolved my earlier problems.  The
>final issue appears to have been that the SQL statement was interpreting the
>WHERE clause as having multiple arguments.  Quoting the where clause seems
>to have resolved the error, but the data still is not making it into the
>database?!?!  Below is the "working" UPDATE line:
>
>          $dbh->do(qq{UPDATE systems SET $set WHERE 'Name = $name'});

No, not a new problem.  You've got the same problem.  The data is not
making it into the database because you are not telling the data where to
go!  At least two people have commented on your syntax being incorrect and
you keep skirting the issue.

Correct syntax:  UPDATE [LOW_PRIORITY] [IGNORE] tbl_name SET col_name1 =
expr1, ... [WHERE where_definition] [LIMIT #]

Where is your 'col_name = ' part of the statement?  It will not work
without it!  You'll want to remove those quotes that you placed around the
where clause as well because once you fix the 'col_name = ' part of the
syntax, then the quotes are likely to create more problems.  Follow the
syntax rules - don't make up your own.

-Mike