At 05:24 PM 4/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I am trying to install the DBD on a Unix machine and the DB (MS SQL 2000) is
>on a windows machine.
>It asks me to set the ODBCHOME before I install. Do I need to install the
>ODBC driver on the
>Unix machine. I have DBI installed on it.

If you go the ODBC route...
$ODBCHOME must be set to the UNIX install directory for an ODBC driver manager.
An ODBC driver manager oversees one or more ODBC drivers.
You must provide the ODBC driver manager and ODBC drivers (one on UNIX,
corresponding one on Win32).
The chain of communication outbound from your app to MS SQL would be:
    DBI
     -> DBD::ODBC
        -> ODBC Driver Manager (it provides dynamic libraries that Perl
locates via LD_LIBRARY_PATH or similar mechanism)
          -> ODBC driver (client side)
            (across network to MS SQL host)
              -> ODBC driver (server side)
                 -> MS SQL
Easysoft provides a ODBC bridge solution that is packaged with unixODBC as
an ODBC driver manager.
Others exist as well (iODBC ?) and I believe they're mentioned in the
documentation provided with the DBD::ODBC distribution.