At 01:30 PM 4/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Andrew,
>
>It seems I was not clear enough, let me explain,
>
>When compiling DBD-Informix, the INFORMIXDIR will
>be hard coded in the in the compiled DBD-Informix,
>
>This way If the INFORMIXDIR changes for any reason,
>I will not be able to use DBD-Informix.
>
>Because of the above, I set the environment variable:
>DBD_INFORMIX_RELOCATABLE_INFORMIXDIR to yes before
>compiling DBD-Informix, this way the INFORMIXDIR
>will not be hard coded in the compiled stuff and I will
>need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or SHLIB_PATH in order
>to use DBD-Informix, so I don't need to worry about
>INFORMIXDIR being changed.
>
>What I am trying to find:
>Is there a similar concept for DBD-Oracle?
>
>Please advice.

I believe the user running the application which employs DBI->DBD:Oracle
must have the $ORACLE_HOME and $PATH settings
that are correct for the local Oracle setup.

Your code's connect string would then provide the needed SID.

The connect string syntax we used has the following syntax:

  $dbh = DBI->connect( dbi:Oracle:<Oracle Service Name>, <user>, <pswd>,
                                   { PrintError => 0, RaiseError => 0,
AutoCommit => 1 }
                                 );

No use of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent.

Of course the host machine for the perl application has Oracle client
software installed.

>Regards,
>Mahdi,

-----