True.  I agree it is better, but one thing I ran into recently here is
that another coder looked at some of my code where a table had a default
for inserts and a trigger for updates for maintaining the date and she
didn't understand why I could get away with not supplying a value for
that column.   A problem easily fixed by adding a comment to the code.
E.g.

# date modified field has in-server mechanism to maintain values, no
need for application do so...

(something to that effect)