[ hope this isn't a double-post, my previous msg didn't seem to make
it. ]

In the mod_perl docs
(http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/overview/overview.html) I found
the following:

"The Apache::DBI module implements persistent connections for 1.0, but
may result in each child maintaining its own connection, when it is
most often the case that number of connections is never needed
concurrently. The TIPool API provides a mechanism to solve this
problem, consisting of the following methods:..."

Is there anyway of achieving/simulating this behavior with 1.x and
Apache 1.3x?  I've searched extensively for an answer but can't find
anything.  Would reverse proxying the traffic through proxy servers to
a lesser number of machines performing the database connections be
viable?

The problem, in the current config, is that every time the number of
web machines increase, you add that number of child connections to the
database, despite the fact that they all aren't required concurrently.
Anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks very much.

John