"Tobias, Robert" wrote:

> Solved the problem.  When compiling, programs were trying to link to the
> various 'lib' directories under ORACLE_HOME and getting ELFCLASS64 errors
> from ld (this was a 64-bit installation of Oracle 9i 9.2.0).  I forced it to
> use the included 32-bit libraries instead by running 'perl Makefile.PL' and
> then editing the Makefile by hand, replacing all instances of 'lib' under
> the ORACLE_HOME with 'lib32'.  Compiles and passes the tests.

Having recently gone through this pain myself, I wanted to mention one more
gotcha that we found.  It appears that the Oracle OCI libraries now require a
particular timezone files found in the Oracle distribution (they must be
opening and reading it whenever you try to connect to the database).  Oracle
locates these files by using an enviroment variable or defaulting to
$ORACLE_HOME/oracore/zoneinfo.  If you build DBD-Orace and move it to another
system that does not have these files on it you'll get a oracle timezone
error....

--
Joe Slagel
Geospiza, Inc.