Hello

How can I get SQL to return the column names when doing a select using
the DBI?

Why do I need this?  I am trying to make one sub that will do my various
selects.  Right now I'm doing it with discrete subs.  I find that these
subs are EXACTLY the same except for parsing the SQL returns by the
appropriate column name.

Here is a sample of what I'm trying to do (3 requests to the same sub):

@ArrayOfHashes = sub_get_sql('SELECT * FROM table WHERE trxnum = 100;');

@ArrayOfHashes = sub_get_sql("SELECT trxdate FROM table WHERE trxowner =

@ArrayOfHashes = sub_get_sql("SELECT trxnum, ordernum, trxowner,
trxinfo, trxdate FROM table WHERE trxnum = \'$trxnum\'");

Notice that the columns returned to the sub are different by column
order and the number of columns returned.  I can handle the perl parsing
part, but the sub needs to know the column names when they come back.

Suggestions?

-Kyle