The docs say:

    The DBI resets $h->err to undef before most DBI method calls, so the
    value only has a short lifespan. Also, most drivers share the same
    error variables across all their handles, so calling a method on
    one handle will typically reset the error on all the other handles
    that are children of that driver.

That may be the issue.

Tim.