Hi,

On our development system (SunOS 5.7) my program would 'hang' on occasion
immediately after a call to dbh->connect. This would be after a longish
sequence of connects & disconnects to initialize some data files. By 'hang'
I mean it never returned. A debug statement immediately after dbh->connect()
would not print. And it always hung in the same place after completing just
so many connects & disconnects.

I have to connect & disconnect in my program because we are not using
mod_perl. I was able to 'correct' the problem by adding sleep(3) immediately
prior to the call to dbh->connect.

Anyone know why this problem occurs and why the sleep() fixes it?

P.S. Since the initialization now takes a long time because of the sleeps
I'm thinking of running it in the background with Proc::Background.

Pete

Peter Levine
PG&E Utility
PoR Transition - Newco