Ronald,

> I don't know if this is the right place to post DBI/DBD bug
> reports.  If there is a better place please let me know.  The
> small program below results in an error that reads:

It's the right place.  Exactly!

> The instruction at "0x1f8fe002" referenced memory at
> "0x1f8fe002".  The memory could not be "read".
>
> I am running a fairly recent version of activestate Perl under
> Windows 2000 with the latest versions of DBI and DBD.

There's the problem.  Normally, FYI, I like to see which driver you are
using, but this was a common problem with Foxpro.  It wouldn't be limited to
foxpro, but that was one of the popular drivers that brought out the error.

This has been fixed in later versions of DBD::ODBC, but ActiveState's
repository is sadly out of date.  The good news is that the 5.8.0 repository
(beta) has the latest "official" release.  In the mean time, you can go to
the DBI FAQ and read about private repositories and install my latest
release.

Regards,

Jeff
See the DBI FAQ at www.xmlproj.com/cgi/fom.cgi