Andy Lester and I worked on making DBD::Oracle on Macintosh OS X Jaguar today.

I've reported previously failed build attempts but this is the first time I've actually tried to solve the thing. Thanks for Andy for pushing me.

We discovered that Makefile.PL has a fallback approach to discovering Oracle OCI build rules. I hacked around a little bit to produce the below referenced patch and was able to successfully configure and make (though with lots of 'incompatible pointer type' warning for fprintf) DBD::Oracle.

make test failed miserably, however, with this rather nasty looking output:

dyld: /usr/bin/perl multiple definitions of symbol _main
/usr/bin/perl definition of _main
/Users/tmornini/DBD-Oracle-1.12/blib/arch/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.bundle definition of _main

I think it's quite clear that this is a namespace collision in the dynamically linked libraries.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

I'm pleading with everyone for help! If I can get this working, I will everything necessary to rationalize a PowerBook purchase! :-)

As an added incentive that is more relevant and more universally appealing, Andy mentioned that his company was able to build PHP against the Oracle libraries on OS X without a hitch. Surely we can do as well!

Makefile.PL patch:
http://www.mornini.com/Makefile.PL.patch

configure, make and test results: (post patch)
http://www.mornini.com/DBD_Oracle_OS_X.txt

--
-- Tom Mornini
-- InfoMania Printing & Prepress