On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 03:56:50PM -0800, David Wheeler wrote:
> On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 03:20  PM, Tim Bunce wrote:
>
> >I'll look into this.
>
> I'm pretty sure that it's a difference between 5.6.x and 5.8.x. The
> Exception::Class::DBI tests have always succeeded since I added a test
> for the different versions of Perl. Still very strange, though.

Perl 5.8.0 is (quite reasonably) clearing refs in lexical variables
in a more timely manner when the sub exists.

The failing test in 07kids.t isn't testing anything significant
so I've just replaced it with a comment:

    # Testing $dbh->{Kids} here is unstable because we would be relying on
    # when perl chooses to call DESTROY the lexical $sth created within prepare()
    # The HandleError sub doesn't get called until the do() is returning
    # and recent perl's (>=5.8.0) have destroyed the handle by then (quite reasonably).

    # When a HandleEvent attribute gets added to the DBI then we'll probably call that
    # at the moment the error is registered, and so we could test $sth->{Kids} then.

Tim.