> Hi,
>
> I want to write a program that acesses two databases,
> fetching data from one, writing to the other. The core code
> works fine now, but i have several thoughts left:
> The program shall run as WinNT Service, running every 10
> minutes or so. So the program may not "die" when it can't
> connect, but just wait until the next run.
> I also need some verification of the data being written to
> the second DB before deleting it from the first, would a
> construction like this work?
>
>       if ($mssth->execute) {
>               <no error>;
>               }
>       else {
>               <error to log>;
>               }

Lars,

I've written these types of things before (actually synchronizing a
database entry with the NT Login information for a large scale, 24 hour
facility.  My suggestion is to use RaiseError and to use eval, using
something like the pseudo code below:

        while (1) {

                eval {
                        updateDatabase();
                };
                if ($@) {
                        log_error()
                }
                sleep(your_time);
        }

In updateDatabase() (or whatever)

        eval {
                connect to dbs;

                do your work

                disconnect from dbs;
        }

It's relatively important to check the connections and if you can afford
it, it's better to connect and disconnect, IMHO.

Jeff