It appears that DBD::Oracle when compiled with Oracle 8i, has serious performance issues when talking -- across the WAN -- to databases running Oracle 7.3.4. Queries that used to return in a couple of seconds are now taking several minutes.

Some tests have revealed that we are unable to set RowCacheSize and as a result, the "fetch" time is drastically increased as data is getting returned one row at a time. The problem is masked when the databases are co-located to the server initiating the query. Since we are a global company, we have quite a few DB instances (especially developement), that are at remote sites.

Wonder if you are aware of the problem, and of the possible fix.

We have DBI v1.18, DBD::Oracle 1.07, perl v5.6.1 and Oracle 8.1.7. Oracle was of no help, and washed their hands off the problem, claiming that they don't support perl modules.

Any help, pointers would be highly appreciated.

--
arun.