I'm running RH8.0, and my install came with DBI and DBD::Pg
(postgreSQL) installed - I'm not sure what installer choice(s)
you have to make to get those, but I chose everything language
(perl, etc.) and database related for my install.

Ron Stephan [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> I am still lost struggling with getting DBI up ona RH box.

No problem - we all go through that in the beginning :-)

> OS = RH8.0
>
> Perl = RH Perl 5.8.0

Good - minor point - your perl is just plain "Perl 5.8.0" - no
"RH" in there.

> I am trying to get a DBI module installed (any kind of DBD would make me
> happy) and am striking out.

At a command prompt, do

  rpm -q perl-DBI

if 'perl-DBI-1.30-1' comes back, then you have DBI.  Then do

  rpm -qa | grep DBD

to see if you have any DBD modules installed.  Here's what shows
up on my box:

  perl-DBD-Pg-1.13-5
  perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1017-3

so I have Postgresql and MySQL database DBD's installed.

Then do

  rpm -qa | grep postgres

here's what shows up for me:

postgresql-libs-7.2.2-1
postgresql-7.2.2-1
postgresql-perl-7.2.2-1
postgresql-server-7.2.2-1
postgresql-contrib-7.2.2-1

> I have downloaded from CPAN and used every web page instruction.

Everything you need should be in your RH8.0 distribution - all the
RPM's you need are in there.  No need to go to CPAN unless you
want more recent versions of stuff, but no need to do that
immediately.

> DBI fails in the make file  "Can't load DBD"  The DBD fails in the make
> "can't find DBI".

Try the above 1st - so how far you get.

STEP 1: Before trying to get DBI and DBD::<db of your choice> running,
        you must get a database running.  If you're not an experienced
        database person, the easiest ones to start with are Postgresql
        or MySQL.

HTH.

> Is the Red Hat DB the same as DBI?

No.  DBI is the Perl Database Independent layer - this, along with
the DBD corresponding to the database of you choice, allows you to
program applications in Perl that can communicate with that database.

Red Hat DB is a database based on Postgresql.

HTH.

--
Hardy Merrill
Senior Software Engineer