>  First time using Access.
>
>  I've used my usual insert using placeholders and got an error about a
> count mismatch. Does Access not support placeholders?

It definitely does support place-holders, at least in the versions I've
used.  Can you post more info?

>   Anything I should know about Access and DBI?
1) You can do crosstab queries directly from DBI using the appropriate SQL
2) You can access Access queries just like tables -- in other words, an
Access query is basically just a view to DBI

>   Also (a little off topic) how do I create an AutoNumber field?
Go to table design, create a field and select the type "AutoNumber".
Incidentally, afaik (and somebody *PLEASE* correct me if I'm wrong about
this!) you insert values into a table w/ an autonumbered field by just
ignoring that field in the insert statement.  If you then want to find out
what number was assigned to that field by Access' autonumbering, you have
to go back and run another query to check it.

>   Are there any advantages/disadvantages in using Access over SQL
> Server? I don't know enough to make anyone switch...

Hmm... don't know.  Access DBs are single-file and the software and
drivers are pretty much available on any PC.  You can do crosstab queries
in Access but I don't think they're available in SQL-Server.

HTH,
Paul