----- Forwarded message from Fernando Luna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Subject: DBI - the book
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:56:21 -0800
From: "Fernando Luna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There is the need at my organization to process DDL statements
contained in a group of SQL files.

I would like to know what the known limitations are concerning this,
specifically:

I am running perl version 5.005_03 built for AIX Unix.
I have Oracle version 8.1.7 installed and running.
I have AIX version 4.3.3.0

I have installed the DBI and DBD::Oracle modules... I am able to
execute queries and PL/SQL blocks using these modules with no
problems. What I'd like to do is read a file that contains DDL
statements and execute them through these modules.

These files contain specifically

CREATE TABLE statements
CREATE INDEX statements
CREATE PACKAGE/PACKAGE BODY statements
CREATE trigger statements
CREATE VIEW statements

In some cases, these files have more than one statement in them.
(example, creating several indexes on a table)...

These are taken from PVCS Version manager and I would like to be able
to run them in one session and show the output (that is, if
compilation or creation fails).

I've searched the DBI and DBD documentation and I've not found
anything that specifically addresses this.

I tried running one CREATE TABLE statement and it appears to choke on
some keywords that Oracle has no trouble with, but I suspect has to
do with the fact that they are not necessarily ANSI-SQL compliant.

Is this something that might be covered in this book or can you tell me if this just
cannot be done with these modules?

Thanks

Fernando Luna - Seattle, WA

----- End forwarded message -----