--- "Markham, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> thanks for everyones help.  My 'example' obviously
> had a few problems's =). Kimball's suggestion using
> "as" was ultimately what I needed.
>
> ~rewrite~
> my $sql=q{ select sid||','||serial# as Sessinfo, username
>            from v$session };

You may have misunderstood.  Adding "as" has no bearing on this,
and is completely optional -- it exists solely for enhanced
readability.  The reason your rewrite above works is not
the "as", but rather because you changed the alias name
to a non-reserved word ('sessinfo' instead of 'session')

In summary:

OK:   select sid||','||serial# as Sessinfo
OK:   select sid||','||serial# Sessinfo
OK:   select sid||','||serial# as "Session"
OK:   select sid||','||serial# "Session"
BAD:  select sid||','||serial# Session

Again, the last one is disallowed because Session is a reserved
word and must be quoted to use it as a column alias.