I am trying to solve a problem with SQL Server and DBD::ODBC truncating inserted string values to a single character. The truncation is happening with two records out of a batch of 30. It always happens with the same two records and the same column but there is nothing exceptional about the data. It also doesn't happen when just the problem records are inserted.

There is nothing odd about the INSERT statement; it is using placeholders. DBI is version 1.37, DBD::ODBC is 1.05, installed from ActivePerl's repository. The problem showed up with earlier versions of the modules.

This only happens on our production machine which is running an older release of SQL Server 2000. Our test machine doesn't have the problem and is running a newer version of SQL Server. We are planning to upgrade soon but I would like to find a cause of the problem first.

Has anyone seem or heard of a problem like this?

- Ian