In the otherwise excellent documentation at :

http://search.cpan.org/author/TIMB/DBD-Oracle-1.14/Oracle.pm#Connection_Exam
ples_Using_DBD_Oracle

It's not too clear how to connect to a local database with a user which has
been set-up to
authenticate via the OS (alter user USERNAME identified externally)

i.e. Thinking, as I did, that you can do :

my $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Oracle:SID','/');

and getting this kind of the error :

ORA-01004: default username feature not supported; logon denied (DBD ERROR:
OCISessionBegin)

I think an explicit example like this would help :

my $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Oracle:','/');

Bob Thomson,
UNIX Team,
Newell and Budge,
North Lanarkshire Council.

Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

North Lanarkshire Council's Web Site
 http://www.northlan.gov.uk/
are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the System Manager and thereafter delete the e-mail from
your system.  The System Manager may be contacted at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or by telephone on 01698 302254.
E-mail transmission is not secure and information can be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, delayed or incomplete.  The sender does
not accept any liability for errors or omissions arising as a result
of e-mail transmission or interception.  Please note that incoming
e-mails are routinely scanned for the purpose of detecting offensive
or inappropriate materials.