On Thursday 28 Aug 2003 3:06 am, cong yan wrote:
> What is best language to use to power web server and MySQL. Per or PHP,
> if doing online book store ??
>
> Thanks
> Cong yan

Hi,

I think asking this on a Perl based list (I don't think DBI is available for
PHP) I think you'll get a biased answer.

Personally, I tend to choose based on the type of site I'm developing, the
bias towards back-end or front-end workload, and to some extent what mood I'm
in.

If it's a complex data model for example I'll use Perl/Postgresql (it really
is better than MySQL although I believe MySQL is catching up).

If it's mainly creating dynamic content to the browser I tend to use PHP.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't use both.  There's nothing to stop
you calling Perl CGI's from HTML generated from PHP.

I also use Perl scripts from cron etc., to do back end housekeeping etc.

--
Gary Stainburn