On 2003-09-10 12:14:25 +0200, Bart Lateur wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:40:29 +0100, Steve Hay wrote:
>
> >But the question was: How can I arrange for such conversions to be
> >performed automatically by DBI whenever it receives or returns data?
>
> Well, there are two options... either does the dtabase somewhere stores
> the flag indicating that some string is in UTF8, or you have to add that
> information yourself. For the latter, I don't know if it'll actually
> work, but it seems like an appropriate way to do it: add a "BOM" marker
> at the start of the string.

That doesn't help Steve. He already knows that the data is UTF-8, he
doesn't need the marker to distinguish between UTF-8 and Latin-X.

His problem is that when he selects from the database, he has to
manually convert from utf-8 to "perl-internal":

while (my ($foo, $bar) = $sth->fetchrow_array()) {
    $foo = decode_utf8($foo);
    $bar = decode_utf8($bar);

    # do something with foo and bar
}

and he wants to happen the decode step automatically.

Since MySQL 4.1 does support UTF-8: Is it possible to upgrade from MySQL
3.23 to 4.1?

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer      | Unser Universum wäre betrüblich
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / LUGA  | unbedeutend, hätte es nicht jeder
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/   |  -- Seneca, naturales quaestiones