I haven't tried it in a long time (other than running make test) but from
perldoc DBD::ODBC:

       odbc_async_exec
           Allow asynchronous execution of queries.  Right now,
           this causes a spin-loop (with a small "sleep") until
           the sql is complete.  This is useful, however, if you
           want the error handling and asynchronous messages (see
           the err_handler) below.  See t/20SQLServer.t for an
           example of this.
Martin
--
Martin J. Evans