I've had similar problems with Python inserting into Oracle.  Turns out
that Microsoft had a problem with MDAC on NT, and I had to upgrade to MDAC
2.5+ to get it to work.  We were experiencing delays of up to 90 seconds
on a simple select statement, and via sqlplus oracle would return the data
in .03 seconds.   The delays were intermittent but looked like it was
hung.

Just a thought for you to try.

-Scott