I’ve been searching and using mailing lists to try to find the best way to
access, in multi-threaded mode, a SQL Server Database running on Windows
2000 from Linux perl scripts.  I’m hearing that there seems to be inherent
instability when running threads or “forks”, with the below note summarizing
the issue (from someone on a mail group).  Is there any way to have a stable
environment doing what I’m trying to do?

Yes,  Dave, I used 5.8 AS binaries with built-in ithreads.
i believe your proxy hang is one symptom of thread unsafety.  look at
Net::Daemon when --childs=5.  Jochen "forks" five children, but forks are
threads on windows, so we have five threads listening simultaneously on the
same port on the same select statement; then one of them starts heading
toward the accept(), but its only a thread, so another thread starts and
beats it to the accept(), so now some threads are waiting on select, others
on accept, yada yada... ???
hanging, crashing, Storable croaks, are but some of the colorful symptoms.
:-)

Thanks,

David Wesner
President