Michael Gray wrote:

source databases available, or I would do some testing and patching myself. There's no free version of Oracle for Windows is there? I run Cygwin.

Hmm, I wonder what could be causing this to happen. I have only open

Jeff's pointed out the free version.

This morning, 11 hours ago I started installing the Windows version of Oracle and it is stuck, saying
"Tool Name: Oracle Database Configuration Assistant: In Progress".

By now I am fairly certain the install is not going to happe

Meanwhile, I'm happy to do some delving if anyone's prepared to suggest what I should be looking for, or else I can pass on detailed logs, etc.

Most Recordset bugs are pretty easy to fix if you just dig into the source and the test suite, but without having a running Oracle, I am useless.