Hi,

I have written the thread support for a customer of us. I wrote and tested
it for Perl 5.8.0. I guess some of the internals of the Thread Handling in
5.8.2 have changed and makes things incompatible.

Do you have any chance to test the same scripts with Perl 5.8.0 ?

Can you provide we a stack backtrace from the segfault?

I am vey low on time at the moment, but I can see if I have a quick idea how
to solve the problem.

Gerald

Tim Bunce wrote:
> I don't use DBD::Oracle with threads myself so I can't help much.
> Gerald Richter [CC'd] contributed the ora_dbh_share code so he may
> be able to help.
>
> Does anyone else use DBD::Oracle with threads?
>
> Tim.
>
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 03:29:09PM +0000, Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I am having major problems getting DBD::Oracle to work in a
>> threaded
>> environment on Perl 5.8.2 (compiled using GCC 2.95.3 on Solaris 8
>> for sparc - modules are DBI 1.39 and DBD::Oracle 1.14, database is
>> Oracle 9i).
>>
>>   I see from the DBD::Oracle documentation that I should be able to
>> use
>> threads.  I also see from a previous post by Tim Bunce (26/Mar/03,
>> archived
>> at

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dbd::oracle+thread+group:perl.dbi.users&hl
=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=perl.dbi.users&selm=20030326165715.GC76589%4
0dansat.data-plan.com&rnum=10)
>> that things should work.
>>
>>   I conducted two tests to see how things would work.  The first
>> test was to
>> create 50 threads, each making its own connection to the database
>> (code at
>> http://shortestpath.org/threads1.html) and the second test was for
>> each of
>> the 50 threads to make a database connection using ora_dbh_share
>> (code at
>> http://shortestpath.org/threads2.html).
>>
>>   Both pieces of code failed to work as expected.
>>
>>   The first piece of code started all 50 threads but then dumped
>> core when
>> calling the first "join".  I checked the process list and 50 separate
>> database connections were opened.
>>
>>   The second piece of code would start 2, 3 or 4 threads and then
>>  dump core. I checked the process list and only 1 database
>> connection was ever opened.
>>
>>   Removing the database calls the program makes the code work fine
>> so I
>> assume that I haven't made some silly mistake with the threading
>> calls.
>>
>>   Could someone please offer some advice?
>>
>> --
>> Sean Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Voice:   +49 6133 939-122