OK.  I am working on converting this to use placeholders and the
"qq" quoting option.  I am obviously very new to placeholders, so this is
probably a stupid question, but here goes.  I execute the script and receive
the following error:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/sadmin/sn4265/perl> timex ./passwd2db.pl
Name "main::passwd" used only once: possible typo at ./passwd2db.pl line 25.
Password file for argon found.  Now processing...
Undefined subroutine &main::NOW called at ./passwd2db.pl line 33, <FILE>
line 11.

        The following is the section of code that includes the "NOW" on line
33.  Obviously there is a problem with the way I am doing the placeholders
here.

          $dbh->do(qq{
                   INSERT INTO acct_db VALUES(?,?,?,?,?,?,?)},
                   undef,$key1,$uid,$gid,$gcos,$home,$shell,NOW())
                or print "Error updating database:  ", $dbh->errstr, "\n";

        Thanks again for the help.

Scott Nipp
Phone:  (214) 858-1289
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]