On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 08:56:51PM -0500, Gerard Tromp wrote:

> DBD::Oracle 1.15 fails for tests 195, 196, 197 and 198
> Oracle version 8.1.7.0.0 for both server and client.

If there's anyone out there using Oracle 8.1.x could you please
test DBD::Oracle 1.15 and let us know if it works or not for you?

> Note that DBD::Oracle 1.14 is OK (somehwat fewer tests, so perhaps the bug
> isn't triggered -- I have not yet delved into the differrences between the
> test sets).
>
> The failure is peculiar. Oracle complains about the date format being wrong,
> but as I understand it the date has been OK in previous and subsequent
> queries.

I thought I'd seen it before. A little googling turned up these:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/183/2003/1/0/10305042/
http://www.bitmechanic.com/mail-archives/dbi-users/Jun1999/0466.html
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/php/2000-02/0000.html
 (search for "date format is too long for internal buffer" in that one)

I can't see anything in the trace file you sent.

Try running:    perl -Mblib t/long.t

and see for which LONG type you get the error, then try commenting
out the "push @test_sets, ..." lines near the top to see if the
error still happens when only that type is tested.

Then also try altering the "$dbh->{LongReadLen} = 20;" at line 144
(try using 80, but make sure you're using the original oci8.c file).

Then try reducing the t/long.t file down till it's as small as
possible but still generates the error.

Tim.