----- Forwarded message from Michael Grey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:25:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Grey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Oracle DBD question...
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tim,

Please forgive the unsolicited email; I noticed your
name and was hoping you could answer two questions for
me;  I have done the google thing, but the pain of my
situation is that I am stuck in Malaysia (I am from
Silicon Valley) and cannot get access or decent
O'Reilly books here.

1.  The oracle DBD perl module requires a oracle
server up and running to build ( or at least, and I
quote, 'enough of the software installed...' )  I was
able to build the DBD::mysql without the requirement (
using force admittedly ).  Why is this a requirement
for Oracle  DBD ?

2.  Since this is a requirement, can you point me in
the right direction for this task:  I have a Linux box
(Intel Proc) w/ perl, apache, cgi etc. and wish to use
this as a front end to an oracle DB running on an
RS6000 system.

How do I build the DBD::Oracle module on the Linux
system in this case ?

3.  Is the a decent 'howto' that covers this ?

Thank you for your time and assistance in this matter.

Regards,

Michael Grey