I found sort of a solution to my query which involved calling an ODBC
function (actually I am very new to this level of ODBC and learned that
there are a set of functions supported. I tried using {fn
MONTHNAME(Date_of_Birth)} for a test and it worked. The only problem I
see now is the it always seems to return a string with 0 in the first
character position so if the column date_of_birth has 1964-02-21 and I
wrap it with {fn MONTHNAME(Date_of_Birth)}, in my select statement,
printing it will give the string 0February. What could be causing that?

Regards