Thanks for all the replies! Its much clearer now :)

Just to clear up the qw() issue, I included quotes so that the data would be quote()ed for the query, not sure if that was necessary or not since do() didn't do quote()...

IE I was passing "'data'" (single quotes as part of the string) and not "data"
Thats why I added the note
# IE undef for \%attr and include quoted data

So do I need to send $dbh->quote($string) -quoted- or $string -unquoted- data in @bind_values ?

IE - would it be
  $dbh->do(
     'INSERT INTO Stuff (Id,Foo,Bar,Baz) VALUES (NULL,?,?,?)',
      undef,
      $dbh->quote($foo), $dbh->quote($bar), $dbh->quote($baz)
   ) or die ....
or
  $dbh->do(
     'INSERT INTO Stuff (Id,Foo,Bar,Baz) VALUES (NULL,?,?,?)',
      undef,
      $foo, $bar, $baz
   ) or die ....

Thanks!