----- Forwarded message from "Hartog C. de Mik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:07:44 +0200
From: "Hartog C. de Mik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Oracle / Apache::DBI connection problems

This is a forward since the original message bounced. Figured it
would, the address was 5 years old. :^)

----- Forwarded message from "Hartog C. de Mik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

From: "Hartog C. de Mik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:58:19 +0200

Hi,

I read a thread (http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/spaxspandheh),
initiated by you, on a problem I am currently having with
(DBD::)Oracle.

Whenever our DBA restarts a database used by one of my mod_perl
scripts or the entire server the connection is permanently lost.

The DB runs remote of the webserver which is a linux box. The DB runs
on a windows box.

I've tried virtually anything. Writing a wrapper for (Apache::)DBI
which, in the end, had some pretty agressive methods of trying to get
a re-connect. Methods used where along the lines of reading all the
handles Apache::DBI had and undef'ing them, since the disconnect is
overwritten and no other method of disconnect is provided (which is a
poor feature).

No matter what I try, I cant get (Apache::)DBI to connect to the
server once it had been away without restarting Apache itself.

Perhaps you have some advice?

TIA,
Grtz,
Hartog.