I originally sent this to the CGI list so please excuse me if you are on
both.

This is perl, version 5.004_01
# $Id: DBI.pm,v 11.3 2001/08/24 23:33:40 timbo Exp $
$DBI::VERSION = "1.20";
#   $Id: Oracle.pm,v 1.92 2001/08/31 16:23:59 timbo Exp $
$DBD::Oracle::VERSION = '1.12';

I have "many" databases on "many" different platforms (Sun boxes). One of
the boxes has a tnsnames files that contains all of the various instances. I
connect from this box to all of the instances except three...

I have tried various ways to connect but can not connect to three from my
Perl script - I can connect with SqlPlus from the command line to the three
databases.

I get this error message when trying to connect:
DBI->connect() failed: ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol
error (DBD: login failed) at /.../ThisConnect.pm line 8

Below is the connection sub. Any help or suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

sub MyConnect{
     use strict;
     my($instance) = @_;        # alias name
     my $driver      = 'dbi:Oracle:';
     my $user        = 'xxx';
     my $passwd      = 'xxx';
 #   DBI->trace(5) if $instance =~ /efis/i;
     my $dbh = DBI->connect($driver, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", $passwd);
 #       or die "Could not connect to instance <$instance>: " .
DBI->errstr;
     return $dbh;
 }
1;

I've included the threads I have to the original post to show what I've
tried...

------

OK... I "WAS" thinking it was a "TWO_TASK" error but now see the
difference... But I don't understand why I can connect & select from SqlPlus
but not even Connect with DBI? The referenced doc seems to imply that I
should NOT be able to connect at all(?). My Sqlplus connect looks like:
>sqlplus [EMAIL PROTECTED]
which is the same(?) connection I'm using with DBI(?).

Thanks again for the information and the help...

jwm