Sterin, Ilya (I.) wrote:
Commercial databases have commercial support behind them, that's what is driving it.
Most non-IT companies, do not want to invest in internal departments that are
responsible for supporting an open source software product.  Until a giant like IBM,
HP, or similar puts their support behind an open source db product, you will not see
wide enterprise adoption of them.  And I totally agree with the CIOs, CEOs, etc...
Money is not necessarily an issue, at least it's not when it comes to business
continuity.

Here is a good example. We sold a large company on SuSE (before Novell bought them and put their support behind them). My sales guy was great, but 7 months later they ran into a support issue and SuSE at the time offered 24/7 enteprise support from Germany. No problem right, well they called to get an answering machine, send an email that came back with questions about the specifics. In the case of a large corporation, they would either send someone on site within 4 hours, or help by phone right away.
> There is also the risk of a small company going under, etc...

Big companies can to, and if the source is secret then were will ya be :)
Granted not likely to happen, but then it only takes one time for it all to come crashing down.

I feel the likely hood of the economy changing and causing major issues for "big companies" is way more likely than the open source community to stop supporting and developing.

To me all the "enterprise level" nonsense is just a bunch of big words that make it sound important and sell it to people who are clueless.
(Oh yeah I have some special pills to save your life when we go through haley's tail if you want, half price. They defabulate the spilkcik on the gazoinkcik so your body doesn't get depolicated when it frondilized by haley's interaction with the earth's zaltoid particles ;p Suckers!)

Not many companies are willing to take the risk these days, that's why other benefits
are important.  Before Linux became enterprise ready, with Novell, IBM, HP support
behind it, you rarely saw any public company adapt it in mission critical
environments, that has now changed.  Though this is a case for open source DBs right
now and because IBM has their own db product, they won't put support behind MySQL and
PostgreSQL.

Ilya Sterin

I guess I can see that. Still I've gotten much better support for open source products than I have for, say, the Micorsoft based networks I've admined. And they were for the "mission critical" (and whatever other smart sounding and completely meaningless terms anyone feels like tossing around) systems. But 1800 Microsoft wasn't much help but a "Microsoft Certified" Lackey was available for even more $$.

Oh well waddayado? :)

Thanks for your input Ilya I appreciate it, I'm not going off on you just the evil coporate mongers :)

Since I am now waaay OT I'll stop 100% for sure...

[ end rant - have a nice day :) ]