MCMULLIN, NANCY wrote:

Hardy,
Specifically, we need to do Oracle database development running in a browser, which includes: - add, delete, modify records

This is all standard to the DBI modules. These are all *very* basic database functions. It would be pretty darn sad if the functionality didn't exist for this.

- display on-screen reports of that data

IIRC, Perl stands for 'Practical Extraction and Reporting Language'-- in other words, this is what the language is tailored for. You'd have to be more specific about what kind of on-screen reports you were trying to create. This however, doesn't have anything to do with DBI, short of DBI being your interface to the data you are using to create your reports.

- print hard-copy reports

This has nothing to do with DBI or the database at all. DBI is just your interface into the database to retrieve the data you would use to create a report. There are many modules out there for producing PDF files, Excel reports, or a simple text template that could be printed from a users browser.

- run batch processes

Crontab will do this for you (in *nix). I believe that windows has a similar mechanism for scheduled events.

- allow for concurrent use

Mod_perl + Apache::DBI will allow for 'concurrent use'. We currently run several mod_perl based applications using Apache::DBI, and we have (on average) about 250-1000 active users in our applications and any point in time.

We've already put together some simple Perl / HTML / SQL scripts that display data,
but I  just didn't know if Perl and HTML were robust enough to do all the
aforementioned.

Again, I would suggest taking a look at mod_perl, rather than relying on simple CGI scripts. Mod_perl is your friend in situations where you want to have a scalable, and as you put it 'robust', application.

You might want to direct some of your questions to the mod_perl list.

Chris Jacobson