On Aug 9, 2004, at 8:01 PM, Rudy Lippan wrote:

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Patrick Galbraith wrote:

As far as use_result vs. store result, the server prepared statements
(mysql 4.1 and greater) will always use 'store result', as this has no
affect on performance as per the API documentation.

I plan, if possible, to make "use result" the default with prepared statements,
my thinking here is this: if you are going to be using parepared statements, you
will more than likly be running in a persistant envionment, in which case,
memory usage becomes more of an issue. esp. in something like a mod_perl
envionment because when you use "store result" you will more than likely use 2x
the memory (or more) -- Think of an application that munges the result result
set and pases the munged data off to a templating system for a total of three
times memory usage of just the result set.

Rudy,

Hmm... I can see that point. Is there something similar to this in other database drivers? What setting do they default to? I would like to bring this up too with the fellow who implemented the server prepare statements in the server and see what he thinks.

And from my reading of the docs (though I have not had a chance to test this
yet), mysql_stmt_store_result() need not be called mysql_stmt_fetch(). Is this
the case?

Yes, an I just tested this with the latest code I've worked on, and it works without store_result. I'm curious to see what my benchmarking will show ;)

As far as the question about use_result, I'll have to test this.

regards,

Patrick

Rudy