Jonathan Leffler writes:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:05:41 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > My DBA is having a fit because every connection from DBI/DBD Oracle is
> > issuing a ALTER SESSION SET TIME_ZONE='-04:00'; .  She sees this as
> > unneccessary and a waste of resource.  Is this really neccessary, and
> > is there a way to no do it?
>
> Can she demonstrate that there is a significant performance hit?  I'd
> have my doubts, but...

no, nothing significant, I think over a month it equated .025% of
total CPU usuage.  She is a control freak, and thinks it should be
changed.

> Are you sure it is DBI/DBD::Oracle that's doing it and not the
> applications written using it?
> Is the time zone correct for programs running on your machine?  Does
> the time zone vary depending on the TZ value set for the client
> program?
>
> If the time zone is correct and tracks the TZ environment variable, it
> is probably doing explicitly what might be done implicitly - and that
> may be as much for dealing with some retrograde version of OCI as
> because it is currently necessary.

Here is the snipit from DBD::Oracle.

Timezones
       If TWO_TASK isn't set, Oracle uses the TZ variable from
       the local environment.

       If TWO_TASK IS set, Oracle uses the TZ variable of the
       listener process running on the server.

       You could have multiple listeners, each with their own TZ,
       and assign users to the appropriate listener by setting
       TNS_ADMIN to a directory that contains a tnsnames.ora file
       that points to the port that their listener is on.

> Have you looked for the ALTER SESSION statement in DBD::Oracle code?
> Have you tried omitting it?

Nothing in my code does it.  The biggest issue is why does it do it?

--
C Wayne Huling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>