-----Original Message-----
From: Rudy Lippan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 6:05 PM
To: Mike Garner
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MySQL 4.1.7 req'd DBD Version

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Mike Garner wrote:

> Hello all-
>
> No doubt this question has been asked but I'm mailing to this last as a
last
> resort after nearly a full day of google searching for the results as I
hate
> asking questions that seem so clear on FAQ, list archives, etc. Alas, I
> couldn't find a clear answer.
>
> I've got a MySQL server running ver 4.1.7 with the new password hashing
> protocol and I'd like to connect with PERL. I'm running on Windows (I
know,
> I know), ActiveState 5.8.4.810 with DBI version 1.46 and DBD-MySQL 2.9004
> (thanks to Randy Kobes http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/DBD-mysql.ppd )
>
> But I'm still getting the error about the Client not supporting the
> authentication method required by the server when I connect. If I reset
the
> MySQL user account's password with old_password it'll connect fine. So my
> questions are:
>

> 1) Assuming the new password hashing in MySQL 4.1.7, what's the minimum
DBI
> and DBD-MySQL version to connect?

You need at least DBD::mysql 2.9004 to compile against the 4.1.7 mysql
client
libararies.  As for the password hashing, that is handled by the mysql
client
libraries and not DBD::mysql. I don't know about windows, but under most
unixes
this is just a simple matter of recompiling against the 4.1.7.

If I have DBD::mysql 2.9004 from Randy's site, as I mentioned above, when
then am I still receiving the client authentication protocol error?  Being
on Windoze, I'm not compiling the module myself. Is it possible that this
module is the current version but wasn't compiled against 4.1.7 libraries?
Does anyone know for sure about Randy's module or any other PPM module
available for an ActiveState PERL port that IS compiled against 4.1.7?

> 4) Or is the only way to accomplish this is using old_password on the
MySQL
> side until the DBD/DBI gets caught up?

It is until you get a version compiled against the new libraries.

Rudy.