From: Chad Terry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday 21 January 2005 11:19
To: dbi-users@perl.org
Subject: Truncating trailing spaces - looking for alternative solutions

Greetings -
Having the notorious problem where trailing spaces are being truncated from
bind variables. I have found two solutions, one is to rtrim the column in
the SQL statement, the other is to set the type to CHAR with bind_param. The
problem is, I will be looking at changing up to 100 standalone scripts. I'm
wondering if something else can be done in the environment or setup. This
only started happening to us after we upgraded our environment to more
current versions of Perl, DBD, and DBI. Can somone explain what it was in
this upgrade that would start causing this to happen?

We went from:
Perl 5.00404
DBI .90
DBI.pm 1.83
DBD .47
DBD.pm 1.6
Oracle.pm 1.47 1997/09/08

We went to:
Perl 5.6.0
DBI 1.32
DBI.pm 11.23
DBD 1.14
DBD.pm 11.11
Oracle.pm 1.1 2002/07/05

We are running Oracle 8i database on AIX 5. Perl environment also on AIX 5.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this issue.

Thanks,
Chad Terry

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential,
proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is
solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering
it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message
or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.