Jeffrey W. Baker skribis 2005-07-09 11:27 (-0700):
> > Oh drat - not the DBI connection string discussion again!
> There are certainly database-specific things to be worked around.  An
> improvement to the current DSN scheme would be a URI, as discussed in
> the past.  The leading dbi: on every DSN is redundant, so a URI might
> look like this:
> driver://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:port/instance

I think URIs are the right way to go, and one of the very few things PHP
(though be it with PEAR) did right.

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.database.db.intro-dsn.php

It would be fun if we could just steal that design and build on top of
it, for compatibility, but also because other people have already
thought about it and proven that it works.

Juerd