list tables or metadata queries usually go against
all_tables and all_tab_columns.

The method typically passes in a schema owner and a
table name.  I have traced the equivalent jdbc method
before and there is usually a placeholder for the
schema owner so that you can make it equivalent to
user_tables.

The user you are connected to can see those tables,
otherwise they wouldn't be coming back in the results.

The problem isn't the queries performance I imagine,
it is that the query is returning much more data than
you actually want (which makes it take a lot longer
than it should).

That's the problem with all this generic wrapper
stuff. :)  Database independence is extremely
overrated.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs