You'll want to look for metadata in the man pages of the DBI.  You'll
also want to make sure your particular DBD supports the DBI calls.

-----Original Message-----
From: Umesh Barik [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 5:36 AM
To: dbi-users@perl.org
Subject: need help to know the column names and data types

Hi

I am new to DBI programming. I am trying to write a generic package
which
will handle all the database operations like create table, insert
records,
delete and also modify records. For a query user need to enter the table
name only and the package will get the column names, data types, do the
query and return the records. For that I need to know is there any way
get the column names and data types for those columns from the database?

Please help me.

umesh