listmail wrote:
Well I'm not seeing why a number of arrays that each point to arrays could not be consider a matrix of arrays when considering one definition of the word matrix "Something resembling such an array, as in the regular formation of elements into columns and rows". I dunno, i'm not

Because the data type of "$results" is an array reference.

Each item in it is also an array refenerence, so instead of confusing and overwhelming your self with complex and ominous sounding "matrix"

Just think:

Ok, $results contains all of my $records, each $record has all of the columns I SELECTed.

very simple and intuitive and doesn't sounds like you have to be einstein or neo to understand and manipulate it.

trying to argue with you of course. It is apparent that I truly am confused with Perl References again. I beleive my main mistake could be

because you're making it too hard on yourself thinking in such abstract apocolyptic terms such as "matrix" which relate to computing theory in general instead of a well defined paradigm and implimentation of a specific component of the given language.

Sure *technically* and array ref that contains other array refs can be considered a matrix but "an array ref of array refs" not only tells you what it is but *exactly* what each part of it is which in turn instantly tells you how it needs to be accessed which ultimately makes the 50 or 60 line script you sent originally about 10 lines or less. (IE by using the array of array setup instead of some convoluted matrix that is structured god know how.

That means in six months when you (or heaven forbid me) have to maintain your code we don't have to figure what you were smoking to get what you were after and what you personally define as a matrix and how you'd structure and access the data in said matrix, etc etc

using "foreach my $record (@{ $results })" instead of what you've shown "for my $record (@{ $results })". I'll test this later when I get a

for and foreach are the same thing, foreach just takes up 4 more characters so I always use for(), its cleaner IMHO but do what you like :)