> I cannot find these postings on the mail-archive.com or
> nntp.perl.org archives
> so where did they come from? Is this some sort of mailing
> list to news gateway
> issue I've missed?

It looks like the common factor in both cases is that the postings were
posted through Google Groups itself onto their view of the perl.dbi.users
newsgroup.

It seems that postings made in this way don't get back to nntp.perl.org
(where they exist as newsgroups - they're not part of the Usenet hierarchy
proper), and so also don't make it to the corresponding mailing lists.

If this is the case, then it seems that Google Groups should either make
their version of the group read-only (this would seem to be the most
sensible option since it's really a mailing list you should subscribe to),
or fix the apparent propagation problem from postings made on their
interface back to the source (nntp.perl.org).

--
Andy Hassall :: [EMAIL PROTECTED] :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool